Tuesday, June 14, 2011

En La Academia

¡Hola!

Classes at the Academy started on Monday, and, so far, they've been great!  I've been placed in Spanish 4, which means that the grammar is review but I'm getting some new vocab.  It hadn't really hit me that there is a seriously distinct accent here, until I got to the academy.  I'm vaguely in love with it, but the pronunciation is slightly different.  That, combined with the vocab, makes me feel like I'm really learning a language.  At home I end up focusing so much on grammar that the whole thing feels very clinical and dry; here it's very different, because I really have to live the language and the dialect.

In any event, the school is gorgeous and in a great location.  I'm right next to the Cathedral and La Casa Rosada, of which I'm somewhat lacking in pictures.  To make up for it, this is the school:

(again, sorry about the alignment)

Speaking of cultural immersion, which of course we were because this is a cultural immersion program, Monday night I got the opportunity to try Mate.  This was a great experience because I got to try a traditional Argentine drink and because it came with Empanadas Dulces (essentially pastries filled with dulce de leche).  I mean, I thought the ice cream was sinfully good; but those empanadas ... those blew me away!  The Mate itself was a little bitter, but that's cool with me (I enjoy black coffee and cooking chocolate, bitter is good).

All in all it's been a solid past two days!  I'll leave you with a couple of pictures from the Mate place:


No comments:

Post a Comment