Saturday, June 11, 2011

Settling In...

Finally I have a chance to blog!
I've just finished unpacking and settling into my "home" for the month I'll be in Argentina.  I'm sharing the apartment with my host mom (Amalia) and another student who is here on a semester abroad.  She's been here about a month already and will be returning to university in about two weeks.

The flight over was good.  Setting aside a minor bout of food poisoning in JFK, I'm feeling fine.  I sat next to a Spanish teacher on the way down which was fantastic because he is here with his school's international exchange program.  In light of the fact that I'm traveling solo, he invited me to meet up with his group next week for dinner or a city tour.  I'm certainly planning on taking him up on the offer as it will be a great opportunity to be around people closer to my own age.

The airport was a bit of a nightmare.  Lines were interminable and it was weirdly hot from passport inspection through customs.  I also got to meet my program director for the first time today; he seems like a nice enough guy, so I'm already feeling good about this experience.  I'm really excited to work on my own Spanish.  I'd forgotten how hard it is to speak Spanish exclusively!  Admittedly I fell out of practice this year in 3H (my teacher had decided that the best way to teach us Spanish would be in English), but it somehow feels even more challenging than it did in 2H when we were expected to speak exclusively Spanish in class.  Wish me luck on that one, everyone!

I am very excited about my host house.  Amalia has a fantastic dog who is very excited to meet new people and the other student here is lovely.  My host mom is fantastic about repeating herself, which I really appreciate both because I am out of practice and because the apartment is a little echo-y.  Que será, será; what can you do?

I know I promised photos, but I'm still a bit disorganized.  Tomorrow I'll be going on a walking tour of the area with the Sol Abroad group, so hopefully I'll have some pictures from then!

No comments:

Post a Comment